And the results are in.....

The Covid test results are back.... 

.... and negative.


I suppose it's not a bad thing that I had the last two days to rest. Goodness knows, I don't take that much time to rest very often.  Maybe the universe was just trying to help me out with a nudge in the direction of self-care?

Self-care is an interesting topic. Sometimes I think of it as resting. But honestly, self-care for me often looks like things that take energy.  Spending time with friends is a big one on my list of things that I find restorative. Family game nights with all the kids, even on Zoom- we laugh SO hard. Working on a quilt in the sewing room- or, just even playing with fabric in there (I like the planning as much as the actual creating). Fourteen-hour car trips to spend a couple of days watching dolphins (the dolphins part more than the car trip part anyway). And then, there are things that I don't enjoy doing, but I enjoy having done- like, cleaning the house.  I suppose exercise fits into that category as well.

It seems sort of ho-hum to say that one of my goals for the year is to be better at self-care. I mean, don't we always say we need to be better at that? I think I need to broaden my definition of things that are self-care. Saying "no" without explaining myself, for example- I'm not great at that.  Accepting help without saying, "No, thanks, I'm okay." Letting myself off the hook more often. Guarding my down-time and not feeling guilty for it.  Understanding that just because I can, doesn't mean I should (see: saying no). All of these are things I could practice more.

I also need to reframe why self-care is important. It's not just because "you can't pour from an empty pitcher"... which, is true. But why is it we should have to justify taking care of ourselves?

I suppose if I were going to summarize this post with a theme, I would have to say it's this: Because You're Worth It (apologies to that cosmetics company).

Tucker says, "It's okay to just chill, Mom."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How Did We Get Here? Part one.

So much to learn